Starting an online business requires the same mindset you would have when starting a brick and mortar business.
If you have reliable access to the internet, a smart phone, and an email address, you have the basic tools to get you started.
I am teaching a course on this, Practical Steps to Starting an Online Retail Business and it is a practical plan towards achieving a set goal which could be to get:
- extra/ supplement income
- something beneficial to do given a lack of jobs in some economic environments
- into a business which can be scaled into something greater
Just like any other business, an online business requires you to have a:
- product or service: this could be anything from selling words i.e.writing for pay to selling physical products on platforms like Amazon, Alibaba, Etsy etc and rendering a service such as being a virtual assistant or a coach
- means to deliver it to your customers. This includes having a website, email accounts, on online platforms such as Udemy, Thinkific or Teachable for teaching people online and accounts with delivery companies when you are doing something like dropshipping etc.
- a means of getting paid. You need to establish how you will get paid by your customers as you do the business. Will it be direct to bank, via online payment platforms such as Paypal, stripe and many others
- a way to manage the operations. As your business grows, you will need to address customer issues and your finances. You will thus need to grow the operations side of the business by identifying an accounting service, and a customer support system. These, however, come much later in the business.
Check out the above recommended course to see where you can start from when setting up your online business.